Travel to/from the USA

Before starting your travel, make sure that you have a valid passport, a visa (if required) or the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), and other documents that authorise you entry to the territory of a foreign country.

Travel to/from the USA without visa - the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

If you are going to the United States for less than 90 days for tourist or business purposes with a Polish or other passport of a country participating in the Visa Waiver Program* (VWP), you are not required to have a visa. However, electronic travel authorization of your travel to/from/via the United States (ESTA - Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is required.If you have a valid US visa, you are not required to apply for ESTA authorisation.

You can apply online on th website.


  • The ESTA application must be submitted at least 72 hours before the scheduled departure.
  • If you are travelling without a visa under an ESTA registration, you must have a return ticket from the USA on the day of departure.
  • If you have changed your passport and/or name, or if your previous ESTA has expired, you are required to resubmit an ESTA application.
  • When completing your ESTA application, please provide accurate information in the same way as it appears in your passport.  

*Countries whose citizens require ESTA registration: Poland, Andora, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Chile, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monako, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom.

Travel to/from the USA with a visa

Polish citizens who intend to travel to the United States for more than 90 days or plan to take actions requiring other visa categories (e.g. work or study in the United States) will still have to apply for the appropriate visa category. Applicants who have been refused the ESTA authorisation will also have to apply for the visa.

Visa and customs declarations to the USA

Following the implementation of a new electronic programme in PLL LOT destination airports in the USA, passengers are no longer required to complete the currently used paper I-94 form. This shall facilitate passing customs and immigration checks in the USA. Our flight attendants will give you a customs declaration. Please complete it legibly (in block letters) using a ballpoint or fountain pen. You are required to sign the form as confirmation that the information you have provided is true. Before filing in the declaration, please read carefully the instruction provided below. The cabin crew will provide you with any information and assistance you might need. The completed declaration shall be presented together with the passport at the passport and customs check.

The cabin crew will give you a customs declaration. Please complete it legibly (in block letters) using a ballpoint or fountain pen. You are required to sign the form as confirmation that the information you have provided is true.


Currencies or cash in transit are legal regardless of the sum carried. However, a passenger who is exporting or importing from/to the United States more than USD 10,000 (in the US currency or its equivalent in foreign currency, or in total) in the form of coins, banknotes, traveller's cheques or bearer securities such as money remittances, personal or bank cheques, stocks or bonds, is legally required to report the to sum concerned in US Customs Form 4790. The passenger must complete the form even if another person is carrying the currency or cash for him/her. Failure to complete the required form or provision of incomplete information on the sum of cash being carried may lead to confiscation of all currencies and securities, and an administrative penalty and/or criminal investigation.


In order to prevent incursion of dangerous pests or prohibited animals, imports of the following articles is restricted: fruits, vegetables, plants, plant products, soils, meat, meat preparations, birds, snails and other live animals or meat products. A passenger who fails to report all such articles to a customs officers or agricultural inspector is liable to a penalty, and the articles may be confiscated.


All persons may be interrogated and searched (including their property). Illegal imports of controlled substances (narcotics, chemicals, prescription-only medications without the prescription attached etc.), regardless of the quantity, is violation of the US laws.  

Diabetics who need to self-inject during flight and use PEN products or an insulin pump do not need any additional medical documentation. The insulin pump only needs to be turned off for takeoff and landing. In other cases, such as carrying a syringe along with needles, consult the LOT Contact Center

Please note that our staff is not authorized to assist with injections during the flight.